A reader and writer reviews . . .

Like many people, I read a lot. I also write. After reading my first attempts at reviews on amazon.com, a fellow reader/writer, who is also an award-winning author, suggested I combine these two passions and write book reviews. I said, "Get outa here!" Then I said, "Well, all right!"

Friday, October 13, 2006

My Sister's Wedding by Hannah R. Goodman

I can count on one hand the number of books I've read twice. I recently finished a third reading of My Sister's Wedding before moving on to Ms. Goodman's second Maddie book, My Summer Vacation. Since that one moved me to write a review I thought any book that keeps me returning to it deserves a review, as well. As evidenced by its impressive list of awards, this is a formidable first book that showcases a new talent in Young Adult fiction. Goodman has given us a main character we can like and route for. More importantly, Maddie, her family, and her friends are people with whom we all - young or old - can identify. Who hasn't experienced teen peer pressure? Who doesn't have a little dysfunction in his or her family? Who hasn't been touched by alcoholism, or doesn't know someone who has. This book's themes are serious, timely, and handled with a loving parent's sensitive touch. Yet, there is humor here, too, as in the way Maddie consults self-help books, or her commentary on events like her dissatisfaction with a bridesmaid's dress, or the prominent location of a zit. Who can't relate to that? Teachers and counselors, as well as parents need to be familiar with My Sister's Wedding. It should be on school library shelves and recommended reading in teen alcohol programs, or just read by those of us interested in a good story, well written.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home