A reader and writer reviews . . .

Like many people, I read a lot. I also write. After reading my first attempts at reviews on amazon.com, a fellow reader/writer, who is also an award-winning author, suggested I combine these two passions and write book reviews. I said, "Get outa here!" Then I said, "Well, all right!"

Friday, October 13, 2006

My Summer Vacation by Hannah R. Goodman

Years ago, in a Children's Lit class, I gave a presentation on kid's books, from picture books through YA, that dealt with the theme of death. I wish I'd had this book then. My Summer Vacation is a "must read" for parents, teachers, librarians, grief counselors, and anyone else who may have to make recommendations or help a kid work through a devastating loss. That point aside, it's a great read. Ms. Goodman's descriptive writing brings scenes to life, and her adroit character development makes us care for and/or identify with Maddie, her friends, and their situations. The secondary themes, such as that of teen drama over boyfriend/girlfriend issues, and the interesting handling of a boy with Tourette's Syndrome, make this book eminently accessible to teens, and adults who recall those years. There's humor here, too, rounding out a multi-faceted story that can proudly follow Goodman's first Maddie installment, My Sister's Wedding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home