A reader and writer reviews . . .

Like many people, I read a lot. I also write. After reading my first attempts at reviews on amazon.com, a fellow reader/writer, who is also an award-winning author, suggested I combine these two passions and write book reviews. I said, "Get outa here!" Then I said, "Well, all right!"

Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

How did I get to this age never having read Hemingway? I may have touched on a lone short story included somewhere in an anthology, but nothing reaching the magnitude of this novella. The biblical Book of Job retold as a fish tale. Indeed, Hemingway has written what would have happened if Job had gone to sea in an attempt to earn a new living as a fisherman. The patience! The pureness of spirit! The continuation of hope! Hemingway's Job is actually Santiago, an aging mid-20th-century Cuban fisherman, a simple and hard-working man who follows baseball and admires the great DiMaggio. The language of the story is equally simple and hardworking.
He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.
Throughout the 92-page Scribner Classics edition I read - with illustrations! - Hemingway remains true to the spare prose promise of that first sentence. And yet we never feel a lack of information. On the contrary, readers may feel a need to massage a hand cramp after the old man spends his first night gripping the line on which he has hooked an as yet unseen giant marlin. Many will feel as parched for a drink of water as when they read The Rime of the Ancient Mariner. This brief masterpiece draws readers in and involves them in the story.
Published in 1952 it received the Pulitzer Prize in 1953, and was specifically mentioned when Hemingway won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1954.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hannah R. Goodman said...

This is my fav Hemingway story. Also a big fan of "Rime". Maybe you could review that?

10:24 AM  
Blogger Joanne Carnevale said...

Splendid idea - haven't read Rime in - well, a long time - although often felt like I had an albatross hanging from my neck. Must find a copy and give it a go!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I was required to read Old Man in high school as well as Farewell to Arms. Hated them both. At the time I found Hemingway self centered and chauvinistic. I couldn't understand why he was considered a great author. Perhaps if I reread this book now I would see the books value more than I did when I was 17. I always find it interesting how differently individuals can react to the same book. Thanks for the review.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Joanne Carnevale said...

I'd heard Hemingway was like that and had my eyes open for signs. Perhaps his other titles would lend themselves better to such personal prejudice. If it's present in this book then I was blinded by the amazingly simple yet perfectly suited language. If that's the case I'm even more impressed with this masterpiece.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home